Thursday, September 6, 2007

INXS concert Cincinatti April 23, 2006

Originally posted at www.rockbandlounge.com at http://www.rockbandlounge.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=2519&whichpage=2

This was night three – the last night – of the best INXS weekend I could imagine. It’s hard to do this recap as the weekend is all one big blur. I admit I had the ultimate BSC weekend – 3 concerts in a row (Memphis, Nashville, Cincy), 2 M&Gs (yikes!) and 2 cross-state trips with RBers. So if my facts are a bit mixed up from one night to the next, please forgive me!

So off we go to Cincy – mii, numbers, W.A.T.T., and me. A lovely BSC road trip for four. Course, it wasn’t until we are about to Louisville that I remember the time change – which definitely put us behind! As we are getting into Cincy, numbers who is navigating, tells us that we should go over the river and exit on 5th street. Numbers is reading something... the others of us see 5th Street exit and get off the highway. Numbers asks, did we go over the river? All three of us assure her we did – course numbers is the only one apparently that can recognize a huge river, since we hadn’t yet reached the river LOL. But we figured it out and got to our hotels with little time to spare to meet up with the RBers before the concert.

As mii indicated, it was a very quick get-ready-and-go at the hotel, then off to meet the RBers. I loved this part of the weekend – meeting everyone, putting faces to board names. It was great to meet you – fortune2005, PVvibes, MJ, rockerfan, CumonCumon, secretLuvr – and later PrettyCincy. Really, really sorry I couldn’t stay longer!

M&G

rockerfan, mii, and I head off to the M&G. I’m still uncertain about going… I came close to turning around and leaving. But I went with mii and rockerfan so that we could support each other, and so that I didn't feel so silly doing this 2 nights in a row (as mii was also going again, thank goodness, or I wouldn’t have been brave enough to go for sure). I honestly, truly was hoping they wouldn't remember me, I get embarrassed easily... but I knew as soon as I opened my mouth it was a distinct possibility (how could you forget a voice that is halfway between a phone sex operator and a frog LOL?). BTW - I lost my voice almost completely at the Memphis concert – see my Nashville recap for the hilarity that ensued from that and the context of my walking into this M&G - one night played off the other...

The first person to come up to me at the M&G was Jon. I said hi, I think, then "here" as I give him the concert ticket I was getting signed. (The night before I hadn’t asked for anything to get signed and it proved to be a bit awkward, so I came prepared this time.) I don't really remember context, but he did say something like "hi again, I remember the blue." So, I'm already busted, he knew I was there 2 nights in a row. (He was referring to the fact that the night before he had asked me if I was wearing blue in Memphis.)

Next came JD, I believe. I think I said "hi." Maybe I didn't even open my mouth yet. Honestly, I was hoping he didn't remember me, I couldn’t even meet his eyes – or his sunglasses technically. (He had on dark sunglasses - I swear if I go to another M&G that I am going to wear my sunglasses to it. If they can do it, so can I). But the first thing he says to me is "How is your throat?" So swooning at this point that I finally look at him – his sunglasses – and say “it's a little better, thanks,” then I blurt "I was hoping you wouldn't remember me, now I feel silly being here again." Luckily, he didn't respond to that stupid remark LOL. He started to move to stand in front of mii and sign her stuff as I said to him "I've really enjoyed following your journey." He looked back at me and said "thank you so much" to me again (same as the night before) - guess that is his standard answer LOL. Such a polite guy.

Kirk came up - I don't remember what was said exactly - but he remembered me too. Oh, well – the best laid plans and all that. I’ve enjoyed meeting him; you can just tell he has a lot of fun with the fans. Thankfully, Tim and Garry and Andrew don’t recognize me – or at least don’t put me on the spot by remarking upon it. I dutifully hand over my ticket to get signed, thank them, and off they go. All the rest of the band has finished signing, but Andrew hasn’t – they have to hurry him up to get to the photo taking.

For the photo, mii and I decided to take our picture together to make it less awkward for us - doing it 2 nights in a row. So we both walked over, I turn to stand for the picture in front of Kirk and JD. Kirk says "Don't be shy" or something like that and pulls me backward into him, I kind of lose my balance and fall into him – luckily I’m not too, too heavy (although heavy enough!) or we would have all gone down like dominos. Kirk puts his hands on my shoulders. JD says to the band – again! – "She lost her voice at the Memphis concert." (He said the same thing to them the night before.) Pictures taken (2), I turn around to say thanks and JD says to me "Thank you so much" then again "Thank you so much.” Oh, sweet mother of god, what a gorgeous man. I so felt he meant it. I'm going to go on believing it too, since he said it to me like, 5 times in 2 days LOL. Nope, not his standard answer, no sir-y-bob, he meant it – that’s my story and I’m sticking to it LOL.

Concert

We get out of the M&G and start milling around the lobby, looking for the other RBers. These 2 guys come up and say they are there for an MTV interview – yeah, righ! – and the one spots my signed concert ticket (I have it out so that the ink will completely dry before putting it in my purse) and asks if he can have it. Yeah, right! *sarcasm*

My feet are killing me after three BSC days, so I head into the auditorium to sit. My seat is 2nd row, DEAD CENTER *pogoing* I hear half of a Dirtie Blonde song. Oh, well. Talk to the couple sitting in front of me for awhile, they were really nice. This is the women who later gets the hair fuck, with her husband standing right next to her LOL. He was really cool about it though.

So eventually all of the RBers come to there seats – we are all over the first few rows – it was great. rockerfan has the seat next to me – squeee! She’s very pretty and really nice!

The countdown starts, when the intro music starts the first few rows jump to our feet, and we never, ever sit down again. Then the countdown winds down, the time is here – this is it! 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 - INXS!!!!!!

JD is wearing the same thing as in Memphis – major *poof* worthy. I believe he leaves his jacket on til after Devil’s Party, a bit of a switch-up for him. All the guys look hawt, as usual. I have yummy views of everyone.

The concert set is the same as Nashville. Others have gone through the songs, so I will not other than to mention some highlights. It was all beautifuk of course, the guys are having a blast on stage.

I’m not sure if it is this concert – I think it is – where JD breaks the mic stand so one of the crew has to run out and replace it for him. Also, it may have been this concert where one of the speakers gets dislodged and a crew member has to run out and put it back in place – I think maybe JD and Garry both thanked him out loud, called him by his name.

With all good respect to fortune2005 :-), what I heard JD say before GTT was “Do you know what is fun, breathing is fun.” Then he went through the whole thing – “what is fun?” “breathing is what?” and had the audience answer him. I heard you yell “sex”, fortune2005! Then he said (while sitting on the drumkit stairs) he said “Let’s breathe” and he lowered his head, I think for a moment of respect to what was coming up, GTT, basically a tribute to Michael.

So now for a little levity – or sex – depending perhaps on your mood and your gender. Taste It. Oooh, I did Taste It. I know that some said that they didn’t care for the change up here. But I personally think that Ms. Mic Stand had a talk with JD and asked for some variety and boy, did he provide it! I had a clear view of all from the center – oh, yeah, it wasn’t foreplay, but it was hot! JD started by sitting on the stairs to Jon's drumkit. He introduced the band. He then took the mic and laid it between his splayed knees. He started to thrust upward toward the sweet spot, teasing the sweet spot with the… umm… right… counterpart… of his body, swiveling his hips on occasion. It was slow, it was wow, it was clearly making Ms. Mic Stand very, very happy. He then ended up slowly moving the mic stand upright and over so the microphone was toward the audience and he followed the mic stand very closely, moving forward, inching forward, getting to just that position... He knelt over it on his knees, and really used his hips well, looking very "in" to the experience, then went up and over it, lying down. More hip gyrations and subtle thrusting while on top, employing his hands too I believe, clearly making sure that Ms. Mic Stand was truly satisfied. He eventually brought the mic stand upright and sort of crouching next to it, did some more (not heavy) thrusting, I think, it's all a big blur... he then got up and started singing again... (I need a drink just re-living it)

One thing I remember really enjoying in Kick – he did a little falsetto that I don’t remember in the other 2 concerts this weekend.

JD came out in the asshat and with a cigarette again for the encore. I recall after the encore he thanked Dirtie Blonde, I think that was the first time he did that this leg.

So, my best moment of the concert, although it started out because I did something silly LOL... I had a sign for Memphis that said simply "THANK YOU INXS." For Nashville, I added a word to say "THANK YOU AGAIN INXS." For Cincy, I added to that it said "THANK YOU AGAIN & AGAIN INXS" -- the “agains” were smaller written in on the side. (Credit goes to W.A.T.T. for the idea.) Anyway, I started to hold it up in the encore, toward each of the band members at different times, just to let them know again how much we love them. Well, when I held it up for Garry, he stopped playing (I believe in Don't Chage) and motioned at me that my sign was upside down! (He did this by making a circular motion toward me and smiling.) I immediately rotated the sign and laughed my head off, along with a bunch of people who saw the exchange. Fun times!

The concert was magical, JD was the MAN, the master of the stage, Tim, Kirk, Andrew, Garry and Jon were almost one, a tight unit, a family with their new brother. It is impossible to try to explain the true perfection that was the 3 concerts this weekend, no wrong notes, the sweetness, the laughs, the solemnity, the rightness, the connection, the band that is INXS.

What can I say to sum up this whole BSC weekend? It was glorious and beautifuk. I had almost no sleep and little food, definitely no voice, but I meet a bunch of wonderful people – RBers and INXS – laughed and almost cried (yes – the concerts were that good!). If you had told me a year ago that I would 1) see one band – the same band! – eight times in one year and 2) meet and travel with a bunch of people I “met” on the internet, no way in hell would I have believed you. I’m just much too boring and predictable, so I thank INXS and rockband for bringing some spontaneity and fun into my life. When can I do it again? :-)

No comments: